0

0

Translate

Saturday, July 22, 2023

Understand your environment

 BY Argie Simonis 

"Brothers, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth to those things which are before,
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." Phil. 3:13-14

Our race as Christians is not a sprint, but a marathon that we must run with the dedication and perseverance that Paul describes to us here. But something that we should take seriously is some other advice he gives us:

"For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant to all, that I might gain the more.
And to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you." 1Cor. 9:19-23

In other words, Paul's advice from what we have read is that in order to see better results in our calling we must first be focused on the Lord, but at the same time we must have an understanding of the environment in which we minister, meaning that we should minister according to the needs that exist. Over time society, technology and cultures change, and we need to be sensitive to that.
With the Lord's wisdom and discernment, we must find ways for people to lower their defenses and become more receptive to God's word. And of course this does not mean that we compromise our principles and our moral values in order to be liked. Paul makes it clear in his words:

"To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law..."

Look at the harsh language that Paul uses on the stubborn Galatians who while they started with the Spirit and got born-again, slowly began to act like the Jews:

"O foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ has been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
This only would I learn of you, Received you the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Are you so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are you now made perfect by the flesh?" Gal. 3:1-3

But look at the wisdom of the Lord that he uses, when he speaks in a completely different way to the pagan Athenians, who believed in the 12 gods:

"Then Paul stood in the middle of Mars' hill, and said, You men of Athens, I perceive that in all things you are too superstitious.
For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore you ignorantly worship, him declare I to you." Acts 17:22-23

He may have been mocked at the end when he spoke about the resurrection of the dead, but the important thing is that he was given a platform to speak publicly in the Mars hill (Arios Pagos in Greek), and to sow the seed in some hearts that were ready to receive.

I believe that in the same way we must discern the environment we are in and the needs that exist. The first need that people have is of course to know Christ, but as the Lord also said in His parable,

"For the earth brings forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear." Mark 4:28

Look at the last words of Paul from the verses I mentioned above:

"To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you."

Stoning people with scriptures to show them their sinfulness in times of sorrow and pain they are going through, even when it is due to bad choices they have made in their lives, does little good. On a heart level they already know this, because God has already taken care of it:

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God has showed it to them." Rom. 1:18-19

Can you, with the spirit of discernment and wisdom from the Lord, with mercy and compassion, help these people to know the love and goodness of Christ that leads to repentance (Rom. 2:4) and win them to the kingdom of Heaven? This is what Paul is trying to tells us in 1Cor. 9 that we have just read and this is what we must also strive for.

Christ is neither imposed nor discovered by chance. Christ is revealed, and revelation like faith has stages. The seed must first find fertile ground and take root in the heart before the grass can come forth. Later it will become a blade and then whole wheat within the blade, and for this to happen man must lower his defenses and accept the seed.

This is the recipe that Paul advises us to follow. It is tested and successful, because we must not forget that we who were once counted among the Gentiles, are the fruit of the ministry of the apostle Paul and have come to Christ.
I hope this piece of advice will help you so that by following it you too will see rich fruit in your life and win precious souls for the Lord.

Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment