0

0

Translate

Friday, March 18, 2022

Never give up!

   BY Argie Simonis

"And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
But I have prayed for you, that your faith fail not: and when you are converted, strengthen your brothers." Luke 22:31-32

This is basically the same thing that happened to Job in the Old Testament (Job 1:8 and 12).
Jesus prayed for Peter not to lose his faith. The fact that Peter finally denied the Lord three times seems to indicate that Jesus' prayer did not work. And yet, losing a battle does not mean we have lost the war. Later we see Peter repenting and of course the Lord forgave him. God does not see us as failures, but as apprentices and has the ability to turn our worst failure into a blessing:

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom. 8:28

It is also important that Jesus instruct Peter to return to the ministry after repenting of his denial. If Jesus had not given this command to Peter, many would have questioned whether Peter should have been in a position of leadership. Peter himself may have doubted whether he was fit or not, but the Lord himself confirmed it:

"So when they had dined, Jesus said to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, love you me more than these? He said to him, Yes, Lord; you know that I love you. He said to him, Feed my lambs.
He said to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, love you me? He said to him, Yes, Lord; you know that I love you. He said to him, Feed my sheep. 
He said to him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, love you me? Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, Love you me? And he said to him, Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you. Jesus said to him, Feed my sheep." John 21:15-17

The Bible tells us that Peter continued to fulfill the Lord's command and was so effective in his ministry that Paul called him a pillar of the church! (Gal. 2:9).

So never let a failure discourage you or stop you from what the Lord has called you to do! And never forget His promises:

"...but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that you are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that you may be able to bear it." 1Cor. 10:13

"I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me." Phil. 4:13

Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment